Saturday, May 28, 2016

Family Time in Mpls

So after we all had a relaxing evening and a full night of sleep, I decided to take my family out and show them a few sights. First up was the State Capitol-- I figured we had already seen two (Colorado and Iowa), why not go for the trifecta?

It was cold, windy, and rainy so the conditions weren't in our favor to begin with and when we arrived, the whole thing was under renovation (womp womp womp).  So I didn't even take my camera out for the car with me-- I didn't want it to get all wet, and I figured I'd be back so I could get pictures another time. After a quick walk around the Capitol, we all piled back into the car. I told my mom and Jas we'd be making a surprise stop real quick before our next destination. Little did I know that our surprise stop was going to be so popular. Turns out there was an Archbishop being welcomed in at the Cathedral of Saint Paul so there were hundreds of people there for mass. We couldn't find a place to park, so I let my mom and Jas out of the car real quick while I circled the block a couple of times so they could take some pictures of the Cathedral. At this time it started to rain pretty good, so they rushed back into the car and we were on our way.

After running a couple errands and stopping by the pet store, we were headed over to the Mill Ruins and Stone Arch Bridge. We weren't there for too long because jeez louise it was cold. The wind coming off the river was not fun. I know it gets way way wayyyy colder in Minneapolis so it really wasn't that bad, but man, I was not feeling it at all.

This is one of the few pictures I took out there-- I had a film camera
with me as well, and most of the pictures from that day were with that.

After freezing our buns off we went back home where we ate grilled cheese and soup for dinner and then went by the Mall of America for a bit. My mom and Jas wanted to pick up a few souvenirs and maybe go on a ride or two. When we got there, Jas was in complete awe. She loved it. She loved it so much that we decided we'd be back the next day because she wanted to buy an all day ride pass instead of just going on a few rides.

After returning the rental car on Saturday we went back to the MoA and we were there allllll day long. Really. I think we got there around 1 or so and were there until the mall closed. We did not plan on being there for so long. We figured we'd be there until about 5 or 6. Nope. We went on a bunch of rides, had food, did some souvenir shopping, went on more rides. It was fun. Jas absolutely loved it. I don't know if my mom was crazy about it-- she didn't go on any rides (except the Fly Over America ride that's separate from the Nickelodean Universe part), but she had a nice time. After a long day at the mall we were all pretty worn out. We had a little food, then just relaxed some more. All the mall excitement was just too much apparently.

Sunday the weather was finally nice so we made sure to be outside. I thought it'd be fun to go to hike the trails at Minnehaha and see the Mississippi up close. Frankie enjoyed being outside on a nice long walk rather than being in the car or in our apartment. She was definitely a happy dog this day. The falls were nice and full and the weather was perfect. My mom and Jas were finally understanding what I mean when I say "it's 65 today, it's a beautiful day." In California, 65 is a cold day. 

My mom enjoying her last few hours with little Frank dog.

Jas also enjoying her last few hours with little Frank dog.

After walking around Minnehaha for a few hours we had time to go do/see one more thing. My mom had requested we go out to Paisley Park-- my mom is a big Prince fan so she wanted to pay her respects. Kristen and I have been wanting to go too, so it worked out perfectly. There were a bunch of people there still. It was quiet and everyone was very respectful. It was a cool thing to see. It was also a trip to see all the things people have left for him. And how far some of these people came. Just goes to show you how much of an impact he had not only on the local music scene, but music in general.

After Paisley, we went and had dinner at the Lowry before coming home to watch a movie and have mom and Jas pack up. I didn't eat much because I was already getting sad that they would be leaving in the morning. I wasn't ready to say goodbye yet. Looking back, I'm so happy I got to share that experience with my mom and sister. I wish Jon could have come too, but he'll just have to come out another time. I can't believe we drove all the way and saw everything we did. It trips me out when I look at a map and see where we started and where we ended. Whoa. It also made me happy to have my mom come see where I'm living so she can get an idea of where I'm at and what I'm up to. I already want her to come back and visit-- hopefully we can get her out here this summer. 

Thanks for looking. I have one more post about this road trip coming up. It's going to be all my iPhone photos that I haven't really gone through just yet, so be sure to come back and check that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment